Monday, March 25, 2013

Will You Let Me PUSH You?

Will I let you push me?  What kind of question is that?  You see taken out of the moment or out of context, it sounds rather radical.  Taken outside of the parameters in which it was asked, you would think - uhhh, no thanks, keep your hands to yourself.  But when you realize this is a "physical trainer" talking to a client - it all makes sense.  "Will you let me push you?"  Yes, I replied, I came here for your help and expertize.

WOW!  That is one of the initial conversations I had with my physical therapist after my hip replacement surgery.  There was some time after my surgery until the appt. for my PT, so I had found some exercises online and was doing quite the work-outs at home.  I mean I felt I was getting stronger, I felt I was improving and I even had the thought of why waste my time with PT.  I can get this done at home. I don't need PT or any outside help.   HOW WRONG WAS I.

The therapist had to gain my permission to help me!  I had to agree to cooperate in order to help myself.  I'm going somewhere, just stay with me.  I had to not only make my appt's., I had to keep them.  I had to arrive with the right attitude, be open to new or different exercises, give my whole effort (just being there won't help), and follow the therapist instructions.  Understanding this and giving her (I call her Ulga-ha, ha - she's a bruiser) permission to PUSH me has accelerated my healing, strenght and overall well being.  Yes, it brings sweat, discomfort and sometimes pain - yet it builds me.  I had to realize, she knows more than me about PT

Wait a minute, if I learned that lesson in PT - what about taking that lesson to my dreams?  To my vision and to my goals?  What if I found a "trainer" to push me to excel in the goals of my life.  To team up with someone who won't let me "just show up" but will PUSH me to squeeze every bit of greatness out of me that I have.  What if I got a "trainer" to assist me with achieving my goals and reaching my objectives?  Hmmm, how could I have missed this?  It's easy, because we don't like to be vulnerable with people we do not really know.  We have trust issues!!!!!  Hello, and it's hard to receive help when we don't trust.  You know I coach Varsity basketball, I tell all my players, you will only be successful if you let me coach you.  I need you to trust me, trust that I want the best for you, trust that I will be your greatest fan, trust that I want nothing but success for you.  Trust me and your future is limitless.  My biggest hurdle, getting them to trust me.  And in dealing with our vision, we are protective of it, defensive and uncertain about others intentions regarding it.  So, we often miss the advantage of being coached or PUSHED by a trainer. 

I encourage you today as I encourage myself, reach higher and stretch further.  Take the time, effort and energy to find yourself a "trainer."  Someone who can PUSH you, encourage you and show you how to do it in the manner or way that's more efficient and more productive.  Pastor Alvin said, "Success leaves clues..." My friends find a successful Coach/Trainer, someone who has been there before and get the help to take your dreams to the Next Level.  It may be a spouse, a friend, a co-worker.  Or it may be a professional sales coach, a Pastoral mentor, or a studio engineer.  You may attend a conference, a seminar or a retreat.  Or it may be one-on-one over weekly lunches.  Whomever it may be, take the time to search out help and then receive it.  Lets support one another's dreams and visions - be a cheerleader.  I was at Church yesterday and heard a preacher use my line, "I'm Blowing Up" he exclaimed.  Chrystal immediately looked at me, I was already looking at her - and we knew.  THE COUNTDOWN HAD BEGUN.  Prepare for launching - 10, 9, 8.....Come on friends - it's TAKE OFF time.  Expect the Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment