Friday, March 22, 2013

Did You Know That Looks Matter

I know you read the title and gasped!  Are you kidding me?  Seriously?  Yes, I'm serious.  You have heard the phrase, "dress for success" right?  Of course you have, why?  Because the way we look is often connected to how we feel.  When you're down and ill or just feeling blue - you take very little time to get dressed, brush or comb your hair and take the simpleist of personal hygiene tips.  Then when you get that unexpected guest, they say, "whoa!  look at you, are you feeling ok?"  Why, because the way we look often tells the story of how we feel.  How do you feel when someone says, "You look a hot mess."  You feel a hot mess right?  Jesus teaches the disciples in Matthew chapter 6, "when you fast don't assume the gloomy looks as the hypocrites do, they disfigure their faces in order that it may be evident that they are fasting..."  Yikes, evident, disfigure their faces, so others can see how miserable they are...  Yeah, LOOKS MATTER.  In the 2nd chapter of the book of James the Bible says, "we show special attention to the one wearing fine clothes but we ignore the one not dressed well..."  Now it may not be right, but it surely happens - people deal with you on your appearance.

How does this relate to your vision?  How does this help to accomplish goals?  Does our appearance really matter?  My friends I cannot emphasize enough that it does.  Whether it's business, your career, your marriage it really matters.  Some folks call it "SWAG."  Now I'm not that hip anymore but from how folks use that term it means "how you represent yourself" or "a type of style."  In my day it was a movie called, "How Stella Got Her Groove Back."  You see how we look and dress often generates or motivates.  When I'm all about business, I don't put my sweats and t-shirt on, I wear slacks, button up and perhaps even a suit jacket.  When I go places, I'm ready to conduct business.  Pass out cards, chat people up and try to land accounts.  The sweats and T's are for the gym, not the board room.  But I look in the mirror and when I look like a Million Bucks, I feel like a Million Bucks.  So what I'm expressing to you is that when you get up in the morning and you set your daily goals - make it a point to get yourself hooked up.  I'm about business today, you could be at the store, the bank, the gas station and BAM - an opportunity arises.  Oh man, I'm not dressed for this.  ha ha   yes I've said that too.  You want to run home and change and HOPE the opportunity is still there.  NO man, take care of that before you leave the house.  When I was selling accounts, I would get up and "suited", wash my car and pop in a mint just in case today was the day.  3-4 times a week I would get suited and booted, hit the pavement and no matter how many NO's I got, it didn't effect how I looked.  I was as fresh at 5 pm as I was at 9 am. 

So whatever you may be focused on today, next week or next month.  Set several days aside to "Dress to Impress" and then get to work.  I'm telling you - IT WORKS.  When you look it, you will feel it.  When you look important, you feel important.  When you look good, you feel good.  And one of the biggest things we can have when pursuing goals is CONFIDENCE.  Exuding confidence, people see it, feel it and read it.  Successful people like doing business with confident people.  Not those with their heads down, eyes wandering all over....Standing tall, shoulders back, chest poked out and chin up.  When you look it, you feel it, when you feel it - you act it.  Get you some SWAG (LOL) or get your GROOVE back.  Look at that person in the mirror and tell him or her, "I got this, I can do this, I am smart, I am strong enough, I can teach this, I can preach that, I can impress."

Keep reaching higher my friends, Expect the Great...Be confident, be assured and stand tall regarding your dreams...It's your VISION - trust it & believe it and WORK IT my friends...WORK THAT THING......

No comments:

Post a Comment