Monday, March 4, 2013

Defeating Disappointments

Wow, a new day.  A fresh start and I'm excited about "Blowing Up" seeing pieces of the puzzle come together and what I need to accomplish today to make it happen.  BUT then, I turned on the news before getting the kids up for school.  The President was on talking about the devastating effects of the budget sequester and how all the orphans and widows were going to be on the street.  My excitement for the day started to diminish.  Weren't we just headed off the "Fiscal Cliff" last month and the "Debt Ceiling" a month before that?  Oh man, my mind started running to thoughts of disappointments.  The news turned to a husband and wife on their way to the delivery room and killed by a hit and run driver.  The thoughts kept mounting, then a sink hole in Florida that swallowed a man as he slept.  Dang, I mean life is challenging and what makes me think I can do what so many others either can't or have tried and failed?  Look at the state of things, I mean this life is rough. 

These are the types of world wide challenges that we face every day.  Then there are the situations and circumstances in our own lives that seem to be mounting every day.  We look at these disappointments and they can really affect our attitudes and our focus, deterring us from the course we set out on.  I mean I went from waking up with excitement and looking forward to fulfilling a few goals to make it happen.  But when I allowed my mind to be disappointed and meditate on the disappointments of life, I lost some steam.  Our minds are so powerful, they can either drive us or convince us to lay down and give up.  The thoughts that we allow into this precious space will determine if we "Blow Up" or "Give Up."  I shook these thoughts from my head, ugh, I can't watch this, let me catch up on the games last night.  Turned quickly to Sports Center where Magic Johnson, the Hall of Fame basketball player from the Showtime LA Lakers was on talking about offering LeBron James a MILLION dollars to get in the Slam Dunk contest.  Whoa, I sat up straight.  A MILLION dollars to slam dunk a ball.  Well, there was more.  One of the other host said, "wow Magic that's a lot of money, a million dollars?"  Magic fired back, "well Bill I got a few million, I will be alright."  The light bulb came on in my head.  The country may be going thru this political foolishness, families all across the country may be dealing with some horrific challenges, BUT, this doesn't stop others from "Blowing Up" and it won't stop me from Blowing Up.  In the Bible story about Samson and Delilah, Delilah ask Samson, what will you do when your enemies finally catch you Samson?  Samson boldly and confidently replied, "I will shake myself loose."  Well I will shake myself and determine in my mind, in my actions and in my words that no challenge is too great, no hurdle too high and no disappointment too great to keep me from going up.

I may not be 6'9" like Magic or LeBron, I may not be able to dunk a basketball or throw touchdown passses, shoot I can't even entertain or act like a movie star.  But I know there is greatness in me, in some form or fashion, greatness and success will always rise to the top.  Defeat the disappointments by focusing straight ahead - looking to the FINISH line, not at the crowd.  Expect the Great again today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment