Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Are Your Actions Consitent With Your Goals?

This questions requires what I call "self examination."  A question that will cause you to look in the mirror and ask the person looking back, "am I giving it my all?  Am I doing what I need to do each day to achieve my dream?  Are my actions consitent with my goals?"  Only you can answer that question.  No one looking from the outside in can.  They are your dreams, it's your vision, you set the goals!  You know what it takes to achieve them, you know what it takes to reach that mountaintop.

The great part of LIFE is that yesterday doesn't have to effect your today.  That my friends is what excites me and inspires me.  I start each day asking myself that question and on the days I answer "NO", I look at my goals and vision and the objectives I have set to reach them and then I go after them.  It's a great measuring stick for me and I think it will work for you as well.  I don't know what your goals are, or what your dreams may be, but I do know that it takes work - hard work.  Consistent effort and diligence (diligence means a continual & painstaking effort on your part).  In basketball jargon we call it, "grinding it out."  This is the time the team doesn't play the best, may not have their best mental mindset and my shooters may be off.  Or, the other team bought their A game and we didn't.  So in order to win the game, we have to grind it out.  Possession by possession - and for us dream chasers, thats day by day.  Grind it out my friends, it will always pay off in the end. 

I shared before, I hadn't taken a meaningful exam in I cannot remember how many years.  Now, here I was preparing for a law school exam known as the LSAT.  I read one LSAT prep book and couldn't talk for a day.  I'm serious, my wife was asking me stuff about the book, about other stuff and I couldn't even formulate a sentence after reading those logic games and stuff.  So, I knew - I was going to have to grind this one out.  I looked for help - $800-$1200 for prep courses.  I contacted LSAT tutors, $65-$85 per hour.  Went to online help - too confusing to muddle through on my own.  Books and CD's, yeah they helped some but I was still behind the 8 ball.  The test date was approaching quicker and quicker - the OLD mind said, "man, forget that test - you don't need law school anyways."  That's the way yesterdays guy would have gone.  But oh no, I put my seat belt on, took days at a time away from the house taking prep test and reading.  Any time alone in the house I had my books out and CD's playing - I was going to achieve this thing.  It was like a lesson I learned when I was growing Peacekeepers, I had once asked a real good salesman how often do I follow up a sales presentation when the prospect hadn't called me back.  He said follow up, follow up, follow up and follow up.  I said yea, but for how long?  His response changed my perspective on sales, "follow up until they buy or they die."  So I have a pit bull type attitude about many things, and this test was falling into that category. 

So check yourself daily, when you jump in your car or truck - don't you usually check your gas gauge?   I do, I even have a bright orange colored light that seems so bright it could burn a hole in something.  After checking your gauge, you immediately think about your destination right?  Then based on those 2 components, you either head to your destination or to a gas station.  Well my friends, it's the same with our goals and dreams.  We rise in the morning and we ask ourselves, were my actions yesterday consistent with my goals?  Based on that answer, we are off and running.  Be encouraged my friends, you have a support group to help assist you.  Support me, I will support you and lets support others.  Share this post with your friends, shoot those of you with Facebook help me out until I get me one of those Facebook pages (yes it's coming).  Forward the post, support the vision and lets all work together to help one another achieve the dreams.  Expect the Great - It's coming your way.  ARE YOU READY? 

No comments:

Post a Comment