Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Overcoming Frustration

You ever feel like just throwing your hands up in the air, stomping off and just saying what the &^%*% blankety blank blank?  Huh, you ever feel that way, cause certain days I do and today happens to be one of those days.  So what do you do when the feeling of frustration overwhelms you?  Go eat ice cream?  Top shelf drink?  Beer or wine?  A smoke - cigar, cigarettes, weed?  Or worse?  How do you handle it?

Well, I have learned thru tremendous experiences how to handle frustration.  I mean look, what gives a person great experience?  I don't know about you, but I have gained great experience and insight by making bad decisions.  Yup, I have been a person who has learned thru the school of hard knocks and is now trying to pass on that bit of experience thru the lumps I have suffered.  Because in times past, I would of ate a gallon of ice cream, stuffed myself with take-out, or even worse...So now, I take the positive approach and stay focused on the prize and keep my thoughts moving forward not backwards.  I look for the positive, trust me, there are enough negatives and negative people around all day, every day. 

So, I been working on a project for 2 weeks now.  A project I normally would of completed in 1 week, cashed my check and took the fam to dinner or a night out.  NOPE, not this project...I feel like Charlie Brown at times...UGH.  So today, I get in early - tighten a few loose ends and BAM, I'm done RIGHT - WRONG!  Ha ha ha, nope what can go wrong often times does go wrong.  So I'm so annoyed, upset and frustrated.  Old man has passed away, remember the new man.

Number 1 - I stopped what I was doing and gathered myself.
Number 2 - I prayed and thanked the Lord for the opportunity to even do this project.
Number 3 - That put me in a frame of mind to giggle to myself, laugh out loud.  dang, this is jacked.
Number 4 - I worked in reverse, going back over what I had done, looking for my error.
Number 5 - After not finding anything wrong, I put my tools up, ladders away and said I will battle this beast tomorrow.  I'm not going to allow this thing to beat me down and take the winds outta my sails.
Number 6 - I made a plan to take a day or even 2 off and then return with fresh eyes and mind to undertake this thing and get er done.
Number 7 - I drove the scenic route home.  No music, no phone - just meditating on the goodness of God and enjoying the winding levy roads.  My mind clear and that project put off for another day. 

And even though I'm the type of person who likes to finish what they start, I'm learning that subtle changes make all the difference.  Because years ago, I would of stayed on this thing until I broke a tool, injured myself or someone else or tore up a 100' of cable or wire.  Been there done that!  So, I'm learning - not saying I have arrived, I am learning to deal with frustrations in a positive and progressive manner.  One that will leave me with better results and a "slimmer waist line" ha ha

What about you, what do you do to deal with the frustrations of home, the kids, the job, the folks, the church, your money, or no money ?  Leave me a comment, I look forward to your insight.  Expect the Great - Be Blessed my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment