Friday, April 26, 2013

It's Winning Time

1 Corinthians 15:57 "But thanks be to God!  He gives us the victory thru Jesus Christ our Lord."

I am so thankful that God just keeps on pouring out on us, day after day, week after week and month after month.  Because the other day, I was so frustrated and I so wanted to trash this project and I wanted to move onto to something else that I could "WIN" at.  Ha, ha, ha - then in His usual tremendously fascinating way, God thru His divine Spirit, whispers in my ear - "you are winning."  This passage of scripture comes alive.  Because I was like but God I haven't gotten it done, but God, it just isn't working out right, but God...and on and on.  Then God says, MY SON, as long as I am for you, the entire world against you - YOU STILL WIN!  What God requires of us my friends is a great and valiant effort.  To keep persevering, to keep fighting and to stick to it.

 I heard a tremendous story that nails this point for me:  The five-year-old soccer goalie of Team One was an outstanding athlete, but he was no match for three or four on Team Two who were also very good and they began to score on him. The goalie gave it everything he had, recklessly throwing his body in front of incoming balls, trying valiantly to stop them. After the third goal was scored against him, he could see it was no use; he couldn't stop them. He didn't quit, but he became quietly desperate. Futility was written all over him. After the fourth goal, the little boy needed help so badly, and there was no help to be had. He retrieved the ball from the net and handed it to the referee - and then he fell to his knees and cried the tears of the helpless and brokenhearted. His father ran onto the field and said, "Scotty, I'm so proud of you. You were great out there. I want everybody to know that you are my son."  "Daddy," the boy sobbed, "I couldn't stop them. I tried, Daddy, I tried and tried, and they scored on me."  "Scotty, it doesn't matter how many times they scored on you. You're my son, and I'm proud of you. I want you to go back out there and finish the game. I know you want to quit, but you can't. And, son, you're going to get scored on again, but it doesn't matter. Go on, now." The little guy ran back on to the field and they scored two more times. But it was okay.

I don't know about you - but I get scored on every day, but I keep trying and trying.  But I am so glad it's not up to me but rather to God - for it is God that gives the VICTORY.  It was Jesus on that Cross that washed away every sin (or every score against me).  And because of that VICTORY, I have victory in every area of my life.  Be encouraged my friends - you may get scored on, but we can't lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment